Wednesday, October 24, 2007

A Typical Day

People ask me what I do with myself without a car, without family nearby, and in a tiny house. Well, here is a typical day in the Payne house.

I wake up when William is sick of being in his crib. He will normally wake up and play with a few toys and his musical aquarium for an hour or so. If I'm lucky, I get to sleep in until 9am. But usually it's around 8am.

Then I watch JAG from the DVR as I feed William breakfast and get my own. I also check my email, myspace, blog, and other computer stuff. I'll also play some Webkinz games if William is occupied. Lately, I've been going out every 15 minutes to move the sprinkler on our newly seeded lawn in the backyard.

If it is Tuesday, I would have been up at 5am to take Sean to work so I can have the car. After breakfast I get William dressed and ready for playgroup. That goes from 10am to noon. If it's not Tuesday, then at this time I clean the bedrooms, do laundry, make phone calls, whatever.

It's lunch at noon and William goes down for a nap. Depending on what was for lunch, and how attentive I am, I usually have a big mess under the high chair to clean up. I sweep and mop the floor. Then pick up the front room and put the toys away. If I'm making a crock pot meal for dinner, I do it at this time. Then if I have some time left, I lay down for a little nap until William wakes up and is ready to get out of his crib, which is usually around 2:30-3pm.

Then it's Backyardigans (thank you DVR!) and toy time for William while I clean the kitchen and listen to talk radio to catch up on what's going on in the world. On Tuesdays, I have to leave at 3:15pm to pick up Sean from work.

Snack time for William around 4pm and then clean up again. Get dinner ready and pick up before Sean comes home.

Sean comes home around 5:30pm and immediately snacks unless I have a meal ready. I haven't got the timing down yet. If a recipe says 30 minute prep time, I take around 1 1/2 hours. I guess it's lack of tools, counter space, and food prep skills.

Then we relax and watch some TV and talk about our day. Sean has to do most of the talking because my day (as you can see) is pretty hum-drum. If you know Sean, you know that the talking does not last long. It's mostly TV and computer time. I'll read a couple of books to William, if he lets me.

Around 7:30pm it's bath time for William and he loves to play in the tub. He's usually done and dressed in jammies by 8pm, his bedtime.

Then I do the dishes (no dishwasher!!) and sweep and mop under the highchair again. Sean takes out the trash and we lounge about again. He usually goes to bed around 10pm. If I go to bed at this time, I usually wake up around 2am and can't go back to sleep. (like now) Most of the time I stay up longer until and watch Conan and do computer stuff until I'm tired and can stay asleep.

That's my life. Pretty boring. Until we get another car or William stays out of the Scrapbook room so I can get some work done in there, I'll continue my routine.


erin said...

Having only one car sucks!!!! I am a little jealous of the 8 or 9 am wake up. I can't wait until Jill is out of her crib in a couple of months so that she can entertain herself in the mornings! Sounds like you get about as much stuff done during the day as I do. Except my kids have taken over my DVR :(

Sara said...

I wish I HAD a how I miss being able to watch Ellen! :) If the t.v. is on, then it is tuned into Nick JR, and ya know, however much the kids like it, Diego just isn't my thing! :)